I cannot begin to express in words how blessed we were by the church we were in last week. I told you in our last newsletter that it was an answer to prayer that the pastor invited us to his missions conference. God continued to used this church in a HUGE way to encourage us along the way. How does a church encourage a missionary family? Glad you asked!
1. They put us up in a Bed and Breakfast with private cabins for us to have our own space. (The kids had their own bedroom, we had our own kitchen, etc.)
2. They gave us spending money for the week right when we showed up and let us know that they wanted us to relax all week and the only responsibilities we had at the church was to be at the evening services.
3. They took me golfing! 🙂
4. They took our FAMILY shopping. (They gave each one of our kids and Julia and I an envelope full of money and told us the only stipulation was that it had to be spent and that the kids got to pick out whatever they wanted. The girls came away with a couple of new dresses, some “dress up”, and some girly legos. Carson picked out a bunch of legos, a lego video game, and a Toy Story shirt. Julia and I got several things we were needing in the way of shoes and clothes.)
5. Random church people kept handing me money. (They used the secret handshake technique where when you are done shaking their hand, you have this little wadded up piece of paper in your hand)
6. They brought the Dominican to us via Skype. (One of our team Dominican missionaries that they already support prayed for the offering via video feed and gave a short update on Friday night.)
7. Multiple people approached both Julia and I to let us know that they would be praying for us on a consistent basis.
8. They loved on our children! (We really never had to go pick them up from the nursery, because people kept asking us if they could go get them and bring them to us, so we didn’t have to leave our table. By the end of the week, the kids had really made some good friends, both their own age and adults.)
9. The church gave us a VERY generous love offering.
10, The pastor recommended us for support to the church on the last night, and the church voted with us standing right there to take us on for $125 monthly, raising our support level to over 50%!!
Praise the Lord for His faithfulness, we are over halfway to our goal!! What a great week!! This church was truly a “Phillippi” church.
Listen to what Paul says about that church in Philippians 4:11 Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatsoever state I am, therewith to be content.12 I know both how to be abased, and I know how to abound: every where and in all things I am instructed both to be full and to be hungry, both to abound and to suffer need.13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.14 Notwithstanding ye have well done, that ye did communicate with my affliction.15 Now ye Philippians know also, that in the beginning of the gospel, when I departed from Macedonia, no church communicated with me as concerning giving and receiving, but ye only.16 For even in Thessalonica ye sent once and again unto my necessity.17 Not because I desire a gift: but I desire fruit that may abound to your account.18 But I have all, and abound: I am full, having received of Epaphroditus the things which were sent from you, an odour of a sweet smell, a sacrifice acceptable, wellpleasing to God. 19 But my God shall supply all your need according to his riches in glory by Christ Jesus.20 ¶ Now unto God and our Father be glory for ever and ever. Amen.